Who We AreGrace United Methodist Church is a community of people who seek to glorify God. We believe that as we begin to understand who God is and follow Him, He will transform our lives. Each week we see individuals, families and communities experiencing God’s grace and power.
Our roots in the Illinois Valley run deep. In fact, Methodism was first brought to the LaSalle area by a circuit rider from Peoria. Rev. Zodac Hall was appointed to the Peoria mission. Four to five families gathered at the home of John Long on the bank of the Little Vermillon River below the bluff near LaSalle. The first Methodist "church" was built in Peru in 1838. It faced what is now Third Street between Fulton and Fourth Streets. In 1854, Methodists built a much larger two story brick church at the northwest corner of Third and Putnam Streets, which was sold to Peru School Board in 1863, who remodeled it and converted it to the Peru High School.
In 1872, construction of a larger church was started at the corner of Fifth and Gooding Streets in LaSalle. We used this building until we moved into our current building. On Dec. 23, 1958, 3.83 acres of land was purchased at our present site on Chartres Street in LaSalle.
In early 1964, Methodist minister Rev. Rode and the Pastor Relations Committee met with Rev. Glabe of the Grace EUB church and the Pastor parish Committee to explore ways to consider a merger. It was brought to vote, and on June 28, 1964 the churches merged locally as Grace Methodist Church. The cornerstone of the former EUB church is located on the southeast corner in what is now our present sanctuary.
In 1968, the Methodist Church and Evangelical Brethren Church were united nationally and became the United Methodist Church. Locally, we became Grace United Methodist Church. Plans were designed, funds were raised, and on May 31, 1970, we moved into the present church building for our first service.